File this one under a post for another day / ah yes, I've seen that before, cant remember how I fixed it however.....
File: \Boot\BCDHere is how to fix:
Info: an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data
Step 0 - Getting to the Recovery Console1. Insert Windows DVD* and after selecting language and keyboard, select "Repair your computer"
2. Wait for system recovery to run and fail
3. Click "No" to apply any changes
4. Cick "Next" to look for a recovery image
5. Click "Cancel" on the cannot find system image dialogue
6. Click "Cancel" to exit system image dialogue
7. Click Command Prompt
Step 1 - Ensure your system partition is marked as activeAs a reminder - this is a typed command
And this is a comment.
1. Boot into the recovery console as per step 0
3. select disk 0
4. list partition
5. Select the first primary partition. In the screenshot below, the partition to select is partition 2, so select partition 2:
6. detail partition
7. Ensure that the partition is marked as Active: Yes
8. If not, then active to set the partition active
9. exit to exit diskpart
10. exit to exit recovery console
11. Restart to reboot.
12. Boot and follow step 0 to enter the recovery console again
Step 2 - Repair Master Boot Record and Repair Boot Sector
1. Boot back into the recovery console, as per step 0, run the following commands2. bootrec /fixmbr
3. bootrec /fixboot
Step 3 - Rebuild Boot filesYou need to know where your Windows folder is mounted within the recovery console. Sometimes it is at C:\Windows, sometimes D:\Windows, sometimes somewhere else. If you have no idea, use the following to get you a list of drive letters currently in use:
2. select disk 0
3. list volume
Then it's just a matter of looking for Windows directories on each of those volumes.
So to rebuild the boot files:
bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:
Reboot and you should be done.
*If you can't find your Windows DVD, have a look
Here for Windows 7 DVDs (Release versions)
Here for Windows 2008R2 DVD (Evaluation version)
Here for Windows 8.x DVD (Evaluation version)
Here for Windows 2012 DVD (Evaluation version)